Listed on the National Register of Historic Places the Museum is housed in a former Le Mars Community School building. An elevator serves all five levels of exhibits. The school building, fondly known as "Old Central" was constructed in three sections: middle (1905); south (1925); and north (1952). "Old Central" was home for high school, junior high and elementary classes. The building was used for the final time as a school during the 1980-81 year.
The Plymouth County Historical Museum, organized in 1965, outgrew its buildings at the Le Mars Airport and moved into "Old Central's" south section in 1983. Renovation of the 1905 section is continuing.
The museum features: Turn of the Century Domestic Rooms; Agricultural Rooms; Heritage Rooms; a Music Room; Religious Heritage Room; Miller's Lunch; "The Village" and Loess Hills Exhibit.